Our college is a premier institution devoted to quality teacher education at the secondary level. The college has as a motto a verse from Bhagavat Gita “Uddhared atmana tmanam” which means “One should lift up the self by the self”. Our Vision is to impart quality Education that fosters a better social order.
The Government College of Teacher Education, Kozhikode formerly known as Government Training College was started in June 1950, with a view to impart teacher training at the secondary level. It is one of the premier institutions in the government sector of the state and has a glorious history of more than six decades.In the beginning, the college functioned in the premises of Govt.Victoria College, Palakkad with its affiliation to the University of Madras for the reorganized BT course until June 1957.
As part of the reorganization of the States in July 1957, the College got affiliated to the University of Kerala for the BT course. From the year 1959 onwards, the degree offered became B.Ed instead of B.T.
The College was affiliated to the University of Calicut from the academic year 1968-69, consequent to the formation of the University of Calicut as per the ordinance number 5/68 of the Governor of Kerala. The Institution was upgraded and renamed as ‘College of Teacher Education’ by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India and was officially inaugurated by the Honorable Minister for Education, Kerala on 29th August 1992.
The institution is recognized under 2 (f) and 12 (B) of the UGC act and it follows The institution is recognized under 2(f) and 12(B)(serial no) of the UGC act and it follows the UGC guide lines and norms of the NCTE. The NCTE has fixed certain norms for running B.Ed & M.Ed programmes. NCERT also provided certain guidelines for the curriculum development and implementation.
The institution is under the administrative control of the Director of Collegiate Education of Government of Kerala and direct academic control of affiliating university (University of Calicut). However the institution depends for its financial support on the State Government, UGC and MHRD for its various developmental activities
The institution upholds an esteemed value in achieving its vision, mission and purpose. Above all it also highlights:
The college is situated at Kozhikode in Kerala, the southernmost state in India. It is conveniently located at the heart of the Kozhikode town, by the side of Mananchira, fresh water pond adjacent to Town Hall, and about one kilometer away from Kozhikode Railway station.
The GCTE has a rich heritage in the field of Teacher Education. Established in the year 1950, as an affiliated institution to the University of Madras. It offered BT Course in different subjects in the beginning. Physical Science, Natural Science, Mathematics, Malayalam, English, Citizenship, Social Studies and Geography were included since 1950. In 1950-51, there was an intake of 84 students. During the next two years the intake was 86 students. In 1953-54, the strength was raised to 100 students. The strength rose to 113 with the introduction of B.Ed course in Hindi and to 120 with the introduction of B. Ed courses in Arabic and Sanskrit. Now the college offers B. Ed in Arabic, English, Hindi, Malayalam, Sanskrit, Mathematics, Physical Science, Natural Science and Social Science. The college also offers M. Ed programme from 2010 onwards.
|1910||Construction of the main building|
|6th June 1950||Started BT course in the premises of Victoria College|
|13th July 1950||1st Batch classes started|
|June 1950||Affiliated to University of Madras|
|15th May 1951||Shifted to the present Campus|
|July 1957||Affiliated to University of Kerala|
|1968 -69||Affiliated to University of Calicut|
|29th August 1992||Upgradation of College of Teacher Education|
|1993||Construction of College Hostel and Staff quarters|
|28th September 2001||Construction of Jubilee Memorial Library Block Constructed|
|2nd December 2005||Upgradation of Computer Laboratory|
|2nd December 2005||Establishment of Guidance and Counselling cell|
|2nd January 2006||Construction of Pedagogic Park|
|8th December 2006||Establishment of Language Laboratory|
|February 2008||Library Automation|
|October- May 2008||Massive Renovation of the College|
|2008||Accredited by NAAC with A grade|
|2010||Commencement of M. Ed programme|
|March 2015||Digital Resource Centre opened in the Library|